|Program Sponsor:||International Internships LLC|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|November||2018||07/01/2018 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|December||2018||08/01/2018 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|February||2019||10/01/2018 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|March||2019||11/01/2018 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|April||2019||12/01/2018 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Microfinance refers to the provision of financial services to low-income clients- traditionally not considered to be "credit-worthy". Microfinance has reversed conventional banking practice by removing the need for collateral and created a banking system based on mutual trust, accountability, participation, and creativity. In this system, credit is a cost effective weapon to fight poverty and it serves as a catalyst in the overall development of socio-economic conditions of the poor who have been kept outside the banking orbit on the ground that they are poor and hence not bankable. Whether in terms of addressing the problems of malnutrition and disease, flight from rural to urban areas in search of work, environmental degradation or the breakdown of families and communities, programs that provide small-scale loans and economic training to resource-poor people are one of the brightest spots in the new development paradigm.
Please note that there are multiple start dates each month. After acceptance, we will determine the best start dates work best for you.
- 4 Weeks: $5,100
The following items are included in the internship programs in India!
- Vegetarian Meals (3 per day)
- 24/7 On-site Supervision
- On-site Orientation
- ISIC Card (for those currently enrolled in university)
- Evacuation Insurance (for those currently enrolled in university)
- Basic Health Insurance (for those currently enrolled in university)
- Visa Assistance (for US citizens only)
These are additional fees the India programs:
- Additional week: $750
- Airfare to/from India
- Local transportation fees
- Visa Fees (mandatory for U.S. Citizens): $76
- Academic Credit (optional): $650
Please note that the dates for programs in India may vary slightly from those dates posted for other programs. These programs run year round, but start dates can be subject to change. Please contact us for specific dates.
In the search for practical measures to alleviate poverty and its debilitating impact on humanity and the planet, the microfinance movement offers a set of powerful tools in the service of social and economic development. The program provides interns with an in-depth understanding of microfinance and allows them to contribute/learn based on their specific subject and expertise. The internship provides a 4-week placement in one or many microfinance institutions based in Mumbai. Activities will include field trips, market research, data collection, documentation, and observation.
What do I do on the program?
- Participate in Group meetings (client meetings) towards gaining a better understanding of issues in urban poverty and access to credit. Meetings with microfinance ground level staff and management.
- Understanding of microfinance principles, process, and methodology
- Implementation of microfinance as a tool to alleviate urban poverty
- Conduct Market research (microfinance requirements), product designing
- Case documentation (written, audio and video documentation)
- IT systems (including website improvement)
- Establishing MIS,
- HR, Capacity building (for ground level staff and new staff)
- Interaction with bankers working in Microfinance.
- This program is open to Students/Faculty/Practitioners of Business, Economics, Social Studies, Social Work, Banking, Information Technology, and Commerce.
- At Least 20 Years of Age
- Relevant Academic Background and/or Work
- Experience in Desired Field
This program is open to all levels of students and individuals with an interest in social and economic development, microfinance, and micro-enterprise. Participants must be over 20 years of age, easy going, flexible, independent and willing to take the initiative to learn. Individual or groups of students can apply to the program.
Microfinance can be an exciting and powerful tool for social transformation but the implementation can often be arduous and participants must be willing to work hard and adapt to different surroundings and work environments.